For those of you out there who don’t know how to make Hash from trimmings at home, here’s a step- by- step guide to make your own delicious stash. Hash can be made from different parts of the plant, but we are going to look at How to Make Hash From Trimmings.
Let’s get started
1) Collect all the plant material or trimmings in a bag. Place the bag in the freezer for about 1-2 hours. Make sure you trimming are dry before they enter the freezer.
Now that you have collected all the plant material that you are going to use, you have to be sure that it is completely dry before it is put into the bag. If the trimming hasn’t dried, place them in a jar and leave the lid off for the trimmings to dry.
2). Prepare a clean place to work on. Disinfect it to not contaminate your hash. Take into consideration that you will be working with ice so make sure you have a cooler or something close by so the ice doesn’t melt.
What you need
- White nylon or cotton cloth to filter and cover the pan.
- You will need approximately 14 grams of trimmings to make a decent size hash ball.
- A decent amount of ice will be needed, about a tray of ice per half an ounce (14 grams) of trim.
- Next, you will need 2 pans or bowls (sizes depend on the amount of trimmings you have) make sure that the bowls or pans can hold the trims and the water.
- A normal spaghetti strainer should come in handy
- A soup ladle so you can scoop out the liquid into the coffee filter or whatever you are going to use.
Optional – An electric mixer can come in very handy to stir the mixture. A wooden spoon could also do the job.
How to make Hash From Trimmings: The process
In order to proceed in How to Make Hash From Trimmings, you will need to do the following:
- Pour the trim mixture into the container and add the ice. Add enough water to make it look like a soup-like mixture. Be careful not to add too much water. The more you add the longer it will take to pour it out into the filter.
- If you use your hands, use gloves because the water is icy. Mix the trim and ice water well together. Everything should be thoroughly submerged.
- With the electric mixer or spoon mix the material for 10-15 minutes. The mixture will bubble a bit, don’t panic, it’s normal. Take a break if your hands cramp up. Also be careful of ice shards while using the electric mixer.
- The finished product will look a bit like a slushy. Let the mixture settle for about 30-40 minutes. If the room you’re working in is too hot you might want to add some more ice to keep the ice mixture stable and not watery.
- While the mixture is resting you should get you pan, bowl or container into place and put the filter or strainer over it.
- Scoop with the ladle the mixture into the strainer placed over the container to separate the plant material and liquid. When all liquid passed through, squeeze the remainder of the liquid out of the plant material.
Don’t dispose of the leaves after squeezing them, save them somewhere safe. They may still be of some use. From these same leave materials, you could possibly get more hash out of them.
Do this until all the mixture is into the 2nd container. When you remove the strainer, you should be left with a yellowish/greenish liquid that may have small pieces of leaves still floating around.
- Repeat the process until you have filtered out all the plant material and hash particles. The fastest way is by using a coffee filter or cheesecloth. A metal strainer might take longer.
- Finally, the last filtering should be with a reusable coffee filter. It would make it easier. If you don’t have one then a paper coffee filter should be held in your hand
This filtering might take a little bit longer than the previous times, but it is very important. When almost all the water is removed, the sediment will start to settle at the bottom of the container. That’s the hash you’ve been making.
- After draining the last of the water, the hash will now have collected together at the bottom. Grab and squeeze the filter to remove all the access moisture from the hash. Place the wet filter into a newer dry filter to keep from losing any hash as the wet filter may be breaking.
This is the final stage of the process. In your hands, you hold your own homemade ball of Hash.